Did you know that many of our articles can be republished on other websites or in other publications?
To determine if you can republish a particular article, and if so, under what conditions, please use the decision tree below.
It’s a little complicated because of the range of articles we publish, so if after going through the decision tree you’re still not sure, please contact us first before you republish (please allow up to 14 days for a reply).
This list relates only to QUESTION 2 in the decision tree above (it does not relate to QUESTION 1 or a “yes” answer to QUESTION 1):
- Stephen Bounds
- Bruce Boyes
- Other authors are expected to be listed here in the future.
Creative Commons licenses and their conditions
Follow these links for information in regard to the conditions of the following Creative Commons licenses:
- CC BY-ND 4.0 Creative Commons license – this relates to the COMMERCIAL (FOR PROFIT) ENTITY box in the decision tree above
- CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 Creative Commons license – this relates to the NON-COMMERCIAL (NOT-FOR PROFIT) ENTITY box in the decision tree above.
In regard to the license codes:
- CC means Creative Commons
- BY means that users must provide attribution to the creator when the material is used and shared
- NC means NonCommercial, which prohibits commercial use of the material
- ND means NoDerivatives, which prohibits the sharing of adaptations of the material.
Republishing content and format requirements
If, by using the decision tree above, you have determined that you can republish a particular RealKM Magazine article, then you can republish the article in accordance with the license conditions and the following republishing content and format requirements.
These requirements relate to ANY and ALL articles that are republished from RealKM Magazine, and must be carefully followed:
- Articles must be republished in accordance with the specified Creative Commons license conditions (see the decision tree above). The CC BY-ND 4.0 and CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 Creative Commons licenses are both NoDerivatives licenses, which prohibits the sharing of adaptations of material, meaning that you can only republish articles in full, with no alterations.
- If you are planning to republish an article that is part of a series, then you must republish the entire series in the same order as it was published in RealKM Magazine, with new instalments in the series republished on a regular (preferably weekly) basis. If a RealKM Magazine article is part of a series, then this will be stated at the top of the article text.
- All Creative Commons licenses require that users provide attribution (BY) to the creator when the material is used and shared. For articles republished from RealKM Magazine, all of the following must be done to provide this attribution:
– At the top of the article, between the article heading and the beginning of the article text, you must add the following statement including the link: Originally published in RealKM Magazine.
– The article author must be identified as the original author, as shown in RealKM Magazine. In a section or box at the end of the article, you must include the author’s name, their full biography, and their profile image, as shown at the end of the original article in RealKM Magazine.
– At the end of the article, between the end of the article text and the reference list, you must add the following statement IN FULL: Article source: [Name of article as a clickable link to the original article in RealKM Magazine], [relevant Creative Commons license code as a clickable link to the license].
- The article referencing must be retained, including the superscript reference numbers within the article text and the corresponding numbered reference list at the end of the article.
- Any images used within the original article must be retained in the republished article, at the same resolution, and including captions and attribution. If in the original RealKM Magazine article there was the ability to click on an image to view a larger image, then this ability must be retained in the republished article.
- You can only republish the header image from the top of the RealKM Magazine article if that header image was used under a Creative Commons license or is in the Public Domain. This can be checked by looking to see if there is a “header image source” or “image source” statement at the end of the article, and if there is, if it contains a link to a Creative Commons license, the Public Domain dedication, or similar terms and conditions. If there is a “header image source” or “image source” statement, it will be located between the end of the article text and the reference list.
If the header image was not used in RealKM Magazine under a Creative Commons license or is not in the Public Domain, then it usually means the image is a stock image that we have purchased, so you cannot republish the header image.
If the header image was used in RealKM Magazine under a Creative Commons license or is in the Public Domain, then you can republish it if the license allows this (follow the link to check), and as long as you include the full “header image source” or “image source” statement in the republished article.
Important note: The information on this page is updated and changed from time to time. Before planning to republish an article, please check back here to make sure that you are using the current information.