The much anticipated draft of the new international knowledge management (KM) standard, ISO 30401 Knowledge management systems – Requirements, was released on Thursday 23 November 2017.
The development process1 for the standard is:
- Proposal: complete.
- Draft: complete.
- Public comments: started on 23 November 2017, ended on 16 January 2018.
- Comment resolution: start date 20 August 2018.
- Approval: start date 23 October 2018.
- Publication: start date 17 January 2019.
The release of the draft standard has triggered controversy, with criticisms of both the development process and the contents of the draft standard.
The following articles provide perspectives on:
- international and national KM standards and their development
- the ISO 30401 KM standard controversies, including recommendations for how the issues of concern can be addressed.