What you might not know is that 2016 also saw the publication of the very first academic paper by a sitting United States president, Obama’s article United States Health Care Reform: Progress to Date and Next Steps1 in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).
At the same time that Trump was elected in a surging sea of fake news, Obama’s peer-reviewed article has become the most-discussed journal article of 2016, with 315 news stories, 45 blog posts, 8,943 tweets, 201 Facebook posts, 14 Reddit posts, an article on F1000, and two Wikipedia citations.
Obama’s paper tops Altmetric’s list of the top 100 most-discussed journal articles of 2016. Articles discussing issues related to knowledge management that you can find in the list include:
- #9 Mastering the game of Go with deep neural networks and tree search
- #18 The brain adapts to dishonesty
- #28 Gender bias in open source: Pull request acceptance of women versus men
- #30 Neural mechanisms for lexical processing in dogs
- #33 The social dilemma of autonomous vehicles
- #34 Data sharing
- #47 A multi-modal parcellation of human cerebral cortex
- #61 Association between portable screen-based media device access or use and sleep outcomes
- #62 Cluster failure: Why fMRI inferences for spatial extent have inflated false-positive rates
- #66 A chapter a day: Association of book reading with longevity
- #71 The ASA’s statement on p-values: context, process, and purpose
- #75 Happy heart syndrome: role of positive emotional stress in takotsubo syndrome
- #87 Pharmaceutical industry–sponsored meals and physician prescribing patterns for Medicare beneficiaries
- #93 Natural speech reveals the semantic maps that tile human cerebral cortex
- #97 Online social integration is associated with reduced mortality risk
The trend towards making content openly accessible continued in 2016, with nearly half of the articles in the list either permanently freely accessible or free to view for a period of time.
Summaries of the open access articles in the list that are related to knowledge management can be viewed in the special series 2016’s top 100 journal articles, or by clicking the article links above.
- Obama, B. (2016). United States health care reform: progress to date and next steps. JAMA, 316(5), 525-532. ↩
Also published on Medium.